SC - Tripe

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed May 24 15:31:45 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

> Isn't there a reference somewhere which indicates Roman soldiers were paid
> for their labors in salt?  Or is this just another one of those "histories"
> we learn in school, which have no basis in the "real world"?

That may once have been the case at one time. On the other hand...

Pretend you're a Roman Emperor, one of those ones who came to the throne
via the Praetorian Guard discount. You've already got their loyalty
(although one might say they've got yours) but now that you've got the
city and the urban praetors in your pocket, it is necessary to
buy/insure the loyalty of the frontier legions and other armies...

Multiple choice: do you reach for your brimming coffers full of A)
silver denarii and gold as (or the forgotten plural thereof), or B) salt ?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com