SC - Charlemagne + St. Gall

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 25 03:18:45 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

> Let's see;  we've got some coriander, cumin, and onion...throw in some of
> those later period tomatoes, and we'll make some salsa!

Cumin? Really???

> Seriously, any
> recipes using the leaves of coriander (otherwise known as cilantro or chinese
> parsley) in period?  Also, is there any indication in the texts that the
> coriander called for is, in fact, the seed, and not the leaf?  I happen to
> love the stuff, and would be interested to see a recipe which uses the leaves.

A very general rule of thumb, and not, I expect, without exceptions, is
that period European sources calling for coriander are referring to
seeds, whole or ground, and period Arabic/Islamic sources tend to mean
the leaves.

Adamantius, whose favorite is the roots of coriander
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com