SC - Squary scad enquiry

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Thu May 25 07:33:17 PDT 2000

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> This point is open to question.  In 716, Chilperic II the King of Neustria,
> abated the taxes on one pound of cinnamon, two pounds of cloves and 30
> pounds of pepper for the monastery of Corbie in Normandy.  And in 745, the
> archbishop of Mainz, Wynfrith Boniface, received a gift of pepper from the
> Roman deacon Gemmulus.
>
> There are a number of references which suggest the spice trade did not
> disappear, but continued through Byzantium into Europe at a slower and more
> costly pace.
>
> Bear

I'm inclined to agree. I think there's a good case to be made for the
diminution of eastern spice supplies reaching Europe, with a
concommitant rise in the use of domestic spices such as cumin, anise,
mustard and caraway, but I'm not aware of the emergence of a spiceless
cuisine among those classes that were accustomed to having them. At
least not the most basic imported spices like pepper.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com