SC - Period cooling (was ice)--Semi OT

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Thu May 25 10:12:05 PDT 2000

Try, as mentioned in a previous post, *Bread and Salt*, for lots of salt
related trivia including manufacture. I'm reasonably certain the Roman
Soldier-Salt connection is documented there.

I love the salt references that have come down to us through language, too:

Salty Dog (sexually rude or verbally explicit man)
Worth his salt (valuable person worth feeding expensive spices)
Rub salt in the wounds (painful, but also expensive, so used for the
worst --or possibly lowest fallen--criminals)
Above the salt (the rank of the person denotes worth, re: seating with
access to the salt)

Cheers

Aoife

In a message dated 5/24/00 11:13:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
allilyn at juno.com writes:

>  No reference was given to
>  using spice as money, but it's a small book.  Maybe the Arabic resources
>  would have something.

Isn't there a reference somewhere which indicates Roman soldiers were paid
for their labors in salt?  Or is this just another one of those "histories"
we learn in school, which have no basis in the "real world"?

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?