SC - Illuminated cookbook

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Fri May 26 02:09:44 PDT 2000

Balthazar of Blackmoor said:
> The book promises to be pretty kewl... I am going to make the paper using as
> period a method as possible, and am attempting to find info on period ink
> formulae.  The covers will be of boiled leather, tooled and burnished, though
> I won't attempt to tan it myself.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe you already have all the info you need, but some of the files in
the Florilegium might be useful in creating your book. Take a look at
these files in the SCRIBAL ARTS section:
inks-msg          (40K) 11/16/99    Period and SCA inks for calligraphy.
  (Oak gall ink is probably your best bet. I've been collecting some
small ones from my oak trees to try this sometime. I know that a
merchant
sells some large ones at Pennsic. I believe it is Megan ni Laine de
Belle
Rive (Linda Anfuso), but I can't remember the name she sells under. She
sells from one of the little wooden buildings across from the barn. Her
email used to be: meg at tinhat.stonemarche.org. I don't know if it is
still good
or not.)

paper-msg          (7K)  8/19/97    Medieval paper. Sources for similar paper.

Perhaps these others might also be of use:
bookbinding-msg    (3K)  5/18/00    Binding and covering books in period style.
calligraphy-msg  (141K) 11/28/99    Inks, papers, calligraphic styles.
callig-suppl-msg  (47K) 10/15/99    Calligraphy and Illumination supplies.
early-books-msg   (15K) 11/28/99    Early books. Construction, size.
gold-leaf-msg     (18K)  3/ 7/96    Working with gold leaf, tools.
pasteboard-msg     (9K)  6/10/99    Period pasteboard. It’s use and construction

And in the CRAFTS section:
leather-bib       (18K) 11/ 1/94    Bibliography on leather and leather goods.
leather2-bib       (9K)  6/11/99    Leather bibliography by Vilyehm the Merchant
leather-msg       (79K)  9/ 2/98    Working with leather. tanning.
leather-dyeing-msg(37K)  7/ 7/98    Dyeing and painting leather.
lea-tooling-msg   (47K)  1/ 6/98    Leather tooling. decorating leather.

It sounds like a wonderful, if ambitious project. I hope some of these
files help.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net