SC - What Would Have Been Your Job in Medieval Times?

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Fri May 26 07:39:41 PDT 2000

I believe it may mean "one serving of the common fare".  A mess is an amount
of food for a meal, a course or a dish.  IIRC, in period it was also the
term used for the serving for two placed between people at table.  Gross can
mean large, coarse or common, depending on the precise language used and the
context.  Kychyn, I presuming means kitchen.

"One messe of kychyn grosse" is very likely describing one serving of the
basic fare from the common kitchen which would be served to all members of
the household.  This basic meal would be supplemented with various dishes
depending on the recipients rank, position, contract, etc.

Bear