SC - Andrew Boorde

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri May 26 08:43:10 PDT 2000

>From my Lord, who wishes to put his 2 cents in.
Christianna

- --------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "dallas fox" <deadtongue at hotmail.com>
To: mermayde at juno.com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 06:10:52 PDT
Subject: Ice in the desert

I read, I believe from Jerry Pournelle, that the Romans made ice in the
Sahara.  Perhaps there is confirmation from another source?
They would dig a wide hole 20 feet deep, and fill the bottom half with
straw
for insulation.  They would set barrels of water in the straw, and let it

sit open to the night sky.
When it started to get light, they would seal the barrels, cover them
with
10 feet of straw, and pile polished shields on top of the straw to
reflect
light.
At sunset, the temp falls fast, they uncover the barrels, and after 3 or
4
nights of this, they have barrels of ice for whatever use they wish.

Ld. Damon Fox, called Deadtongue