SC - Elizabeth Burton

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri May 26 08:56:47 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/26/00 9:25:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

<<
 1) How necessary is it really to remove the skins from the raw
 almonds before grinding? Do the skins impart an unpleasant flavor? Or
 is the objection just that the milk is less white? Or is there some
 other reason? I am using the almond milk for Andalusian and Near
 Eastern recipes which call for water as the diluant. Some European
 recipes call for wine or verjus as the liquid or in addition to
 water. Will either of these liquids interact differently with the
 almond skins than water?

    I'm lazy, and hate the tedium of skinning almonds, so I often leave the
skins on if the dish will be dark when I'm through. I haven't noticed a major
flavor/texture difference, even when the pulp is left in the dish. It does
help to grind the nuts in a coffee/spice grinder, rather than a blender or
food processor, though--you get a much finer grind, which reduces the
detectability of the skins.........
    Also, I store my bags of nuts in the freezer routinely, and the only ill
effects I've noticed are the occasional off odors from the chopped leeks
stored next to them, and such........... (G) I would certainly plan to freeze
any pre-ground almonds, rather than even refrigerating them. I don't imagine
that they'd keep well at all!

                Ldy Diana