SC - Re: Honey

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Fri May 26 11:38:58 PDT 2000

>     I'm lazy, and hate the tedium of skinning almonds, so I often leave the
> skins on if the dish will be dark when I'm through. I haven't noticed a major
> flavor/texture difference, even when the pulp is left in the dish. It does
> help to grind the nuts in a coffee/spice grinder, rather than a blender or
> food processor, though--you get a much finer grind, which reduces the
> detectability of the skins.........
>
>                 Ldy Diana

     I've never made almond milk, and these questions have made me realize
I'm not quite sure just what is meant by "grinding" the almonds.  I would
have assumed that using a blender (which I have) or food processor (which
I don't) would produce something like almond butter.  Is that the case?
(I don't know what a coffee grinder would produce; I don't have one of
those either).  What I had thought to use is one of those rotating-drum
Mouli graters that produces a nut meal.  Is that not appropriate for
making nut milks, or is it the same as what you'd get from a food
processor?

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu