SC -_Das Kochbuch Meister Eberhards_.

BJ of NZ bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz
Sun May 28 15:54:32 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/28/00 10:25:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

> . A similar manuscript was donated to the Univ. of Iowa Library by
>  > Chef Louis Szathmary of Chicago, and reprinted in facsimile a few years
> ago
>  > by U of Iowa Press (still in print, by the way).  Comparing the U of Iowa
>  > manuscript facsimile to the U Penn facsimile, the printed title page is
>  > slightly different but the two books have obviously been copied by the
> same
>  > person. Other manuscript copies are held by Vassar and U of Chicago,
would
> be
>  > interesting to know whether they are in the same hand.

I had the occasion to meet with Chef Szathmary when he judged a hot food
competition for the American Culinary Federation (My team came in fourth out
of seven...not our best work, to be sure, and quite humbling).  The man is a
wealth of knowledge, and can describe for you the historical origins of
almost any classic dish, from memory!  I listened in awe as he threw around
ancient and classical names, as if he were talking about dear friends of his.
 His library collection is, in my opinion, unequaled, and is open to the
public, as far as I can remember.  It is a pity Chef Szathmary is not on the
list... I will try to hunt down the location of his personal library and post
it.  I believe an ACF project was to digitize his library and post it on the
internet.  Not sure how far they got, though.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?