SC - Consomme

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue May 30 22:16:35 PDT 2000

I did a bit of searching for the official definition of "consommé" and found
this at the Epicurious (isn't that a wonderful name!!!) Food Dictionary site
http://www.epicurious.com/run/fooddictionary/home.

Consommé:  KON-suh-may, kon-suh-MAY]
A clarified meat or fish broth. Consommé can be served hot or cold, and is
variously used as a soup or sauce base. A double consommé has been reduced
until it is half the volume (and has twice the flavor) of regular (or
single) consommé.
which then led me to this term (of which, unlike consommé, I had not
previously heard)

Madrilène:  [MAD-ruh-lehn, mad-rih-LAYN]
1. A CONSOMMÉ flavored with fresh tomato juice. Madrilène may be served hot
or cold; in the latter instance it's usually jellied. A lemon slice or wedge
is the traditional accompaniment. Canned madrilène is available in most
supermarkets. It should be shaken well before being refrigerated to set. 2.
À la madrilène  is French for "in the manner of Madrid" and refers to many
foods that are cooked or flavored with tomatoes or tomato juice.