SC - Long Pig

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue May 30 22:35:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/31/00 1:10:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< So why would you want such an item today? It would seem like a strainer of
 that style made with monofilament line or some other polymer would be
 stronger and less effected by humidity than horsehair.>>

Because it is a superior product. When cleaned and stored properly it
literally lasts for years. The horsehair have scales which polymers do not
allowing much finer material to be removed from the liquid poured through
them.

 > Other strainers I seen pictured were low sided pans with
 > holes in the bottom and at least one Roman source that showed a metal
 > strainer which closely resembles today's rounded strainer with holes.

 <<Although, I used to call such items "strainers" isn't the better term
 for these "colanders" or are colanders something else? >>

In SCA period the term colander was used as early as the 14th century CE and
was derived from the Latin word colare (to sieve).

Sieve, colander and strainer are used interchangeably by a large number of
people including myself.

Technically, a modern colander is a perforated utensil used for washing or
draining food.

The word sieve is derived from the Old English word sife which is related to
the Old High German sib (sieve) and appeared in the 12th century CE. Today
the word is used for "a device with meshes or perforations through which
finer particles of a mixture (as of ashes, flour, or sand) of various sizes
may be passed to separate them from coarser ones, through which the liquid
may be drained from liquid-containing material, or through which soft
materials may be forced for reduction to fine particles."

Strainer has its origins in the 14th Century CE. The modern usage of the term
is for "a device (as a sieve) to retain solid pieces while a liquid passes
through."

Hope this helps.

Ras