SC - Re: SC - Consommé (was Marmite)

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue May 30 23:06:05 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/30/00 10:18:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au writes:

> which then led me to this term (of which, unlike consommé, I had not
>  previously heard)
>
>  Madrilène:  [MAD-ruh-lehn, mad-rih-LAYN]
>  1. A CONSOMMÉ flavored with fresh tomato juice. Madrilène may be served hot
>  or cold; in the latter instance it's usually jellied. A lemon slice or
wedge
>  is the traditional accompaniment.

Aspic a'la Madrilene (that is, madrilene which has been further reduced, and
sometimes mixed with gelatin) makes a wonderful base for a molded seafood
salad, and is very nice when layered and set over a whole side of smoked or
poached salmon (which you can decorate with radish slices to look like scales
prior to glazing with the aspic)  When you place this dish on a buffet table,
you should have one or two extras in the kitchen for back-up...:)

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?