SC - Unsafe Lavender species

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed May 31 06:12:44 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 31 May 00,, that CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

> I've actually never seen "non-food-safe" lavender....Does anyone have any
> info on a species of lavender which is not safe for food?

> Balthazar of Blackmoor

I wasn't referring to species, but to processing.  The only time before
that I'd seen lavendar for sale was in a store that had a lot of herbs and
grains and beans in large canisters.  They had several kinds of dried
flowers -- lavender, rose, hibiscus -- which I assumed were meant for
potpourri.  I did not feel confident that they hadn't been sprayed with
some kind of insecticide or preservative somewhere along the line.  The
lavender I bought at the flea market was packaged in a sealed plastic jar
from a herb/spice company, and is clearly meant for food use.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net