SC - OT: Boston

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed May 31 08:42:43 PDT 2000

> Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 22:53:20 EDT
> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - oop 18th century cookery book fascimele online
>
> In a message dated 5/28/00 1:57:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> CBlackwill at aol.com writes:
>
> << he book I am making will be heavily tooled and
>  burnished, though, very much like the one unearthed in the grave of St.Cuthbert in Durham.
>   >>

> Is St. Cuthbert a late/early modern saint? If so then, IMO, your take on the page format and calligraphic style may be right on.

Johann von Metten writes:
 St. Cuthbert is a early Anglo-Saxon/Celtic Saint from Northumbria. His
bones were translated to Durham in the 9thcen. to escape the viking
raids on Lindisfarne. Until the Normans he remained one of the most
popular saints/folk heros of the Isles. Even after Billy the B. arrived
he remained very popular and his shrine was still popular until the
coming of the Dissolution.
 Cuthberts cultus recieved a shot in the arm in the late 19th cen. with
the Oxford Movement, which reminded Anglicans of their catholic heritage
and renewed a spirit of reverence for things of the past.
Now both his shrine in Durham Catherdral and his monastery on
Lindisfarne are popular places of pilgrimage and retreats.
 There is even an ecumenical/Anglican Benedictine double monastery on
Lindisfarne.

> Alas, I have been working on an illuminated hand calligraphic cookery
> manuscript for 3 years and probably have many years to go before it is
> finished. My inspiration comes from several 14th century books of hours. It is a gift to myself as a repository for many of my personal
redactions.

Oh wow!!! One of my grandaughters and her aunt are trying thier
collective hands at an illuminated herbal. Lucia and Megan will both
paint the pictures, while Lucia does the scripting of Megan's herbal
lore.
 You both have quite a project!!!
How many recipes are you doing? My girls are only doing twelve, but
that's a LOT of work!!!

Johann