SC - Greetings, passing on a question

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed May 31 13:00:14 PDT 2000

>Okay, I'm not on this list, actually, but I have a friend who is cooking
her
>first feast and wants to know if unflavored gelatin or pectin are
considered
>period for several receipes she wants to try. Any comment is appreciated; I
>will pass on to her.

What recipes does she want to try? Are they period? If so, do they use those
ingredients? If the recipes aren't period, why does it matter if the
ingredients are period?

You've managed to hit one of our bugaboos here, basicly the difference
between period and peri-oid foods. Mixing a bunch of ingredients together
which happened to have been found in Europe in period does not make a period
dish. The only way you can get a period dish is by finding a recipe from
period, and making it as close to the method discribed by the ancients as
you can- anything else is a modern invention. I suggest that perhaps you,
and she might want to look at the fabulous body of information we have, both
in print, and on line, about recipes and cooking methods, before you ask
such a question. If you need help finding them, I'm sure we can send you a
few URLs.

Now- why are your "beautiful buttocks" red? Are you a baboon?

Just curious,

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous