SC - roasting and boiling

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 1 08:07:38 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/29/00 9:56:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, cjvt at hotmail.com
writes:

<< parboiling then roasting might well ensure
 that the meat is more thoroughly cooked on the inside before the outside
 blackens.

Parboiling before roasting assures that the meat will be cooked thoroughly,
removes excess salt from preserved meats, removes excessive fat and if done
properly, tenderizes the flesh.

Although this combination is not much used today, it is still to be found in
modern recipes which correctly specify how whole preserved hams are to be
cooked, as well as game recipes such as those involving squirrels and
rabbits. Chicken BBQ recipes often recommend parboiling before the chicken is
put on the grill as do various fried chicken recipes. Those modern recipes
that do not are usually intended for those who are time limited or else the
meats have been put in a marinade which serves the same function of
precooking and firming the flesh as does parboiling.

I experimented a few years leaving out the multiple stages in period recipes
that were recommended. The results were very much inferior to those obtained
by following the recipes suggestions. I think that the ultimate answer as to
why boiling, roasting and frying occur in the same recipe is a matter of
superior flavor in the finished dish.

Given Chiquart's recommendations for the appropriate kitchen equipment needed
for a feast, I seriously doubt that the lack of pots would have been a
significant factor.

Ras