SC - American Culinary Federation

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue May 2 03:11:45 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/1/00 10:00:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mermayde at juno.com writes:

>   So, Balthazar, are you a member of the ACF?  I did my apprenticeship
>  with them (first woman to graduate from the program in the South East),
>  lo, these many moons ago.  I always advocate an apprenticeship over a
>  culinary-school education, more otj training, more ability to work in
>  real-life situations.  However, I never saw anything in the magazine that
>  I could have possibly considered period, but then, it has been many
>  years.

Chefs de Cuisine of Greater Bakersfield (like it could get any greater...).
Also, Friends of Escoffier Society, and the World Association of Cooks
Society.  I would have to agree with you for the most part, but a really good
culinary academy offers you the ability to test theories and techniques in a
much less frenzied environment.  I believe in learning the basics in school
(and often times much more than the basics), and then applying them in the
"real world".  The school gives you a very broad base of knowledge from which
to work, which may take years to duplicate through O.T.J. training.  If you
can find a sponsoring house with a Brigade style kitchen, then the
apprenticeship is a very good education, as well.  Unfortunately, those kinds
of kitchens are becoming more and more difficult to find.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.