SC - Bloodletting

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue May 2 05:35:48 PDT 2000

And in the medieval medicinal context, it was THE most important of the humors as it carried the vitality in it; one must remove the weak or unfinished blood in order for more to be 'cooked' by the liver (IIRC).  You bleed out the bad blood, and its attendant bad humors, and let the body replace it with strong, pure stuff.  Bloodletting, in what I have been seeing, was used only after the other things did not balance the humors.  there were some conditions, I don't remember which ones, that demanded immediate 'draining', but one could often start by changing activity, diet and climate.

As for day of the week, I'll keep reading and see what comes.  I'll specifically look in the Tacuinum for days of the week.

pacem et bonum,
]niccolo

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> In a message dated 5/1/00 8:36:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, caleb at buffnet.net writes:

> Speaking as a former Paramedic, there is no good day for bloodletting.  Blood is a vital part of your body and you only have so much of it.

Yeah, but it's not MY blood I was thinking about letting...

Balthazar of Blackmoor