SC - Boiled Peanuts

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue May 2 07:45:05 PDT 2000

> > Boiled peanuts must be a southern thing? At least not rocky-mtn-states.
> > I've only even heard of them peripherally (sp?).  Sound
> > horrible--wouldn't they get all waterlogged and nasty?
> > - --Maire

Yes, they are a southern thing.  They are boiled in water so salty, it's
more like a brine.  The texture is crisp/soggy.  Like a pickle.

bonne--who has sentimental memories of floating around in an inner tube on
the lake, sharing a can of boiled peanuts with my cousin.  tossing the
shells to the ducks, who couldn't eat them but got all excited anyway.

(add to list of things to do before moving.  Go to Winn-Dixie and buy a half
a dozen cans of Thrifty-Maid boiled peanuts.  That ought to last me a couple
of years.  I don't eat them that often, but I know they aren't going to be
on the shelves in California.)