SC - Food guessing game for demos

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri May 5 10:53:07 PDT 2000

On Fri, 5 May 2000 13:35:44 -0400 (EDT) Robin Carrollmann
<harper at idt.net> writes:
> Very recently, someone posted about a "guess which foods are New
> World" game that they invite people to play at demos.  It involved
sorting
> foods (a can of corn, a bottle of cinnamon, etc.) into two piles.  I
> didn't keep the post, but I may be going to a demo tomorrow, and I
think it
> would be a neat idea.  Can someone re-send that message to me?
>
> Thanks,
> Brighid

	Yep, we're planning on using this idea next weekend at the annual
"Celtic Festival" at a local university that has very medieval castle
looking buildings.  We were discussing making it specific to the British
Isles, but haven't gotten any farther than that.  Here is the relevant
portion of Anne-Marie's post.
	Christianna

But at public demos, we play our New World Old World food
game...we have a large pile of recognisable foodstuffs....a can of corn.
can of cocoa. A bag of rice. A vanilla bottle. Peanut butter. Canned
greenbeans. a Head of garlic. We ask them to divide the foods into two
piles...what would Columbus haveknown about before his little trip and
what
after. Its fun, it gets people talking about history and food and how
much
our diet has changed, etc. If they play and "win" they get a prize. A
small
pamphlet of medieval recipes, for example. we give 'em out to the
"losers"
too....:)

there are ideas in the works to have variations like planning menus, what
foods were available in which season, etc.
good luck!

- --AM