SC - an interesting challenge...and its even about medieval food! :)

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sat May 6 20:54:57 PDT 2000

I looked at this, on the recommendation of one of the vegetarians I was
cooking for...he was the King, of course I read it!...but the dishes were
a long way from having and sort of medieval feel to them.  For a feast,
it worked better to substitute pea broth, almond milk, oil, wine, etc.
and to find vegetable dishes in the corpus.

Castelvetro has a lot to say about vegetables, as do many of the late and
just out of period books.  Look at La Varenne, Anne-Marie.  Loads of good
stuff, there.  If your hosts are willing to go so far afield as vegan,
they won't care about a fifty year extension.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com