SC - Food guessing game for demos

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun May 7 17:39:39 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 7 May 00,, that Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

>  And thanks for your review, that will definitely help us out next
> weekend!

Doing equal numbers of Old World and New World foods was helpful.
People knew what they were shooting for.  And although I thought that
certain foods would be just too obvious, that often was not the case.

> Was the gingerbread your 'prize' for participating in the game?
>  I know AM said that she had little booklets of recipes, I was wondering
> about what else would make good 'winnings'.
>  Christianna

Yes, I brought the gingerbrede and the marzipan to give out as prizes
(or parting gifts).  I didn't have any recipe booklets, and wouldn't have
been able to produce any on the spur of the moment.  And I figured that
although not everyone likes to cook, almost everyone likes to eat.  And I
also thought that offering medieval munchies was another way to prove
that period food was tasty and not particularly weird.  At first I was only
going to make the gingerbrede, but then I thought it might be good to
have an alternative that wasn't as spicy.  And since I had a pound of
almond meal left over from all that Passover baking, and sugar and
rosewater are staples in my house...

As for other prizes -- it would depend on how many you expect to hand
out.  A wooden spoon, perhaps decorated with a ribbon, would be
appropriate and inexpensive.  However, if you expect to hand out scores
of prizes, that might not work.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann