SC - Serving question

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue May 9 08:57:20 PDT 2000

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:

I guess our attitudes at events are different here.  It is very rare that I go to an event, even in my best "bib and tucker", that I don't offer to help in some manner...and the only events I don't pay to attend are those which I either autocrat or am the head cook for.  On rare occasions, if we have some folk in our group who are financially unable to pay for the event, we'll let them come and work for their food...but that happens only rarely.

> What if you had a truly presedence set feast where there was an
> entire table of dukes and duchesses.  Would you be bold enough to >ask their graces to supply a server of themselves?

Truth be told, these are usually the first people in line to be of assistance, wherever their help is needed.  We have a joke in Atlantia about how you find the King/Queen/etc....see who's washing dishes!

<<SNIP>> To that end, I usually carry an apron with me to most events...just in case I'm needed.  If my garb is such that I really don't want to get anything on it or damage it in any way, I'll try to find something I can do that won't damage it. <<SNIP>>

PEace and Good to the SCA Cooks List.

I commend you on your attitude and commitment to active contribution to the event.  It is a good thing that can certainly make a difference in the event feel and success.  I wonder if expecting it from everyone would not tend to cheapen the generosity a bit.

The example of the ranking people, as well as yourself, as first to help is a great one!  It seems to my eye  to lose some its luster when you call it expected behavior. Those people are special just because they do it when it isn't expected of them.  People who go to events participate and contribute in many ways.  simply paying money to attend is a gret boon to a group who is trying to break even.  I am well aware that smaller groups are far more dependent on graciousness and generosity of others than a barony of 100+.  Does not expectation take the honor anf glory out of generosity and grace?  It seems toturn into doing one's duty and punching the clock.

I don't make any prestense at saying it should never happen.  I just suggest that the host group's making every effort to maximize hospitality will enhance the experience for everyone.  To whatever ends a group can make.  Heck, around here, households sometimes take turns being servants at feast, doing cleanup, whatever.  That is households from different groups and areas, not just local.  That would take the "general expectation" out of the equation.  Doing 'one from every table' by default just because we know it won't be minded much isn't maximizing our hospitality, even though I know it happens for lots of very valid reasons.

The other thing I sort of cringe on is the element of surprise. If there is some statement ahead of time that I might be expected to serve the food, I would feel better about it.  I often am one of those who enjoys the social aspects of serving feast, but really dislike being surprised with that sort of thing.  Even a small print statement  in the flyer or at check-in would give the opportunity to make an informed choice about paying for feast or not.  If you are already doing something like that, I applaud you.  It does not happen with any frequency around here.

Every feast I have served has been sent out by servers specifically committed to doing that.  But I realize I am lucky.  Not everyone has people every time who want to volunteer to be an element of the feast presentation.  I also take the chance to ask some people weks ahead of time to assist that way.  Sometimes it works, sometimes, everyone is already doing something.  I don't recall (my memory ain't great, though) in the last two years anyone's speaking directly to me ahead of time to ask if I would be a feast server.  It happened a couple of times before that, and I was so honored that I jumped at the chance.  It was even cooler the times when the group had tabbards for us to wear.

niccolo difrancesco