SC - Serving question

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 9 10:13:04 PDT 2000

grizly at mindspring.com wrote:

I can understand where you're coming from.  However, as serving feasts in our area is usually done this way, it is a surprise when there are servers provided!  I don't think any of us "expect" that the dukes, duchesses, baronage, and/or peerage will help out with events.  We don't...except for those who live in the hosting group.  However, we are fortunate in that the peers and barons who attend events in our area are very generous with their time and energies, so they usually help take up any slack that may exist in our barony of 30 paid, but usually around 15 active, folk!  If they don't, then we in our group must work extra hard to take care of things...and we usually do.

I don't think there's a problem with "lose some its luster" either....the contributions that those outside our barony make to our events is recognized and appreciated, usually with some kind of memento of the event.  As I said, the contributions are not "expected" but rather deeply appreciated when they are offered.

The only time we have had any question about someone helping out with an event and not paying the event fees as a result has been usually with those who are more professional...as was the case with some Middle Eastern dancers recently.  We could not afford to pay them for their presentation, but compensated them with seats at the feast.

I hope this helps explain how we do things here....

Kiri