SC - Serving question

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 11:06:40 PDT 2000

>I don't pay to go to an event, dress
>in my finer things, PAY for feast to be asked to work.

Not everyone goes in such nice garb and with such an over-riding interest in
playing the noble on that particular day.  Plenty of folks have one set of
mediocre garb and are not bothered to be asked to serve.

All but one of our cantons are too small to provide all the hands needed to
run and event. I wouldn't ask the guy whose been running the fighting, or
organizing the gate to also serve feast as well.  They aren't at all clean
enough for it as well and besides have done their share.  Usual method is to
post at the gate a list for servers to sign up.  Some of these people have
paid, but still wish to serve.  Others have a slight financial problem and
wish to earn their meal. Sometimes though, we just don't have enough
volunteers and so it is announced that a server will be needed from each
table.

Often, a bunch of teens/college students all from one table take on the task
as a group. Lacking that, enough members will decide that society service is
something they need to work on, and now's a good time.

>  What if you had a truly presedence set feast where there was an
>entire table of dukes and duchesses.  Would you be bold enough to ask
>their graces to supply a server of themselves?

Tables laden with peers usually locate a squire, apprentice or protege for
the task, or, given the proximate age of many peers, one or more of their
very own teenaged children.  Sometimes they even decide that leading by
example of service is a good thing and one or more of them will volunteer.

bonne