SC - Estimating Crowds

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue May 9 21:49:37 PDT 2000

First of all, yes, it's very common--you'll always get people who want
in, or didn't make reservations, etc.  Doesn't seem to make too much of
an impact even if you say something along the lines of "reservations
must be made in advance."
Secondly, planning for numbers depends greatly on the event being held,
and on the size of your local group/kingdom/whatever.  For instance, I
live in what is probably one of the smaller Baronies. Our local event
feasts usually run between 50-80, depending on the event.  In the
winter, when our roads can be really bad, that may drop.  I also live in
a population-light kingdom with some enormous traveling distances
(Artemisia, in case you're wondering).  Even a really popular
(non-camping) event, such as a Coronation or Crown Tourney, usually only
draws 2-300 people.
You also have to figure in available hall size....
I generally figure in one extra table's worth (8 folks) for a local
event, and proportionately more (maybe 2 tables' worth) for "larger"
events.
- --Maire