SC - Recipes for Acid Drops and Kendal Mint Cake

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Wed May 10 17:08:35 PDT 2000

Unto the Gathered Cooks of the List does Gwynydd of Culloden send Greetings:

The new sweets cookbook my Lady bought me has finally tired of playing
hide-and-seek, so here are the promised recipes from it.  I have not, as
yet, tested these and would like to hear about any experiences those on the
list have with them.

Kendal Mint Cake
1 lb granulated sugar
1/4 pint milk
Oil of peppermint

Boil the sugar and milk, stirring all the time, to 237F/114C (soft ball).
Beat the mixture for 2 minutes until cloudy, then boil to 247F/119C (hard
ball).  Take off the heat, add a few drops of peppermint oil and stir until
the mixture is thick.  Pour into a tin rinsed with cold water.
     This sweet can also be made with soft brown sugar.  It is a great
energy-giving sweet and is often carried by climbers (slabs were taken up
Everest).  It is very good to finish an open-air picnic after swimming or
walking.

Acid Drops
1 lb granulated sugar
1/4 pint water
1/2 cream of tartar
6 drops lemon juice
1 teaspoon tartaric acid
Icing sugar

Dissolve the sugar in the water and add the cream of tartar.  Boil until the
mixture becomes slightly yellow.  Add the lemon juice.  Pour onto a marble
slab and work in the tartaric acid with a knife.  When the mixture is cool
enough to handle, cut it into strips and then into small pieces.  Form these
into small flat balls and dust them with a little icing sugar.

Lady Gwynydd of Culloden (Ynys Fawr, Lochac, Kingdom of the West)