SC - Martino Question (Blancmange)

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed May 10 18:56:52 PDT 2000

List,

    I have a quick question re: Blancmange in Catalan Style from Martino's
Libro de arte coquinaria...

The recipe states: "...let it boil for an hour, moving and stirring it
constantly with a spoon, adding half a libra and a finely chopped and pounded
breast of capon...."

Are we to assume that the author calls for half a libra of capon, _and_ the
finely chopped and pounded breast?  This is my interpretation, but the author
of The Medieval Kitchen suggests that Martino meant "half a libra of sugar"
and the breast of one capon.

Also, does anyone have a good recipe for rosewater?  I would much rather make
my own than purchase it from an importer of store.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Complacency Breeds Contempt