SC - Scandinavian Cook Books?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 11 17:32:02 PDT 2000

Jim Revells wrote:

>         Does any one have any suggestions on early Scandanavian Cook book to refer
> me to?  I know that it is impossible to get "Real Viking Recipies", but I
> am interested in how people treated food in that reagon after my period
> (Birka, 831CE).  I have looked at what is available on Gunnora's web page,
> Thora's A&S page on Viking foods & tried Lord Stefan's Florilegium.[a
> separate question on that .  How do you get a full page display on windos
> 95 in the format that Lord Stefan uses?  I am not a very savy user & it has
> been a strugal to review any of thoes postings]  I have several
> "traditional" cook books but would like to see something closser to my
> period.
> Hej!
> Olaf

Hej! Yew! Get offa mah cl...

Sorry, reflex.

This is a toughie. You'll note that your own Barony used Anthimus as a
recipe source for some of the dishes in the recent Heorot event, or so a
little A&S bird told me.

We seem to have some very vague literary references to and descriptions
of some Viking Age Scandinavian foods, but I'm not aware of any extant
recipes. There are several variants on a food-based recipe text from the
13th-15th centuries, but the original is believed to have come from
someplace considerably South of Scandinavia, like, say, Provence. It
could conceivably have been used as a cookery source in 13th-century
Denmark, I guess, but how much that helps you I don't know.

Then there are also the Two Anglo-Norman MSs, 13th-century English,
written in French, and the roughly contemporary German Buoch Von Guter Spise.

I believe there's also some Italian stuff from that early or before, but
I don't know what they're called offhand, or whether they're even
remotely what you're looking for.

You might check with the Regia Anglorum people, too.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com