SC - Mackerel

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 11 22:43:06 PDT 2000

Marian asked:
> I need some good recipies for what to do with mackerel, they can be period or
> not just so long as they are tasty.
>
> The local "why on earth does it have this price?" store[1] has big cans of
> mackerel for $0.69 a can, same as they are charging for the small cans of tuna.
> So, while the getting is good I plan to get a lot.

You might want to look at this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
fish-msg         (145K)  8/30/99    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.

Or possibly this one in the FEASTS section:
fish-feast-art     (6K)  3/29/00    Details and recipes for a mid-Lent
                                       "fish feast" by Rudd Rayfield.

I'm not sure how much difference having canned fish rather than fresh
fish would have. I'm also not sure which other fish would be close in
texture and taste to Mackerel so that you could substitute it in for
a different fish mentioned in the period recipe. Someone else have the
answers to these questions?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net