SC - biscuits oop

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Fri May 12 01:15:03 PDT 2000

>> I also, sometimes, omit the baking
powder in my biscuits, and instead beat the dough with a leather mallet
for
about 30 minutes<<

Never have heard of this.  Do you lay the dough on a flat surface and
beat it as you do a round steak?  Can't comprehend how this would make
the biscuits rise.  Do you know the chemistry of it?  This is the secret
of 'beaten biscuit', perhaps?  I've lived in the South a lot but never
saw them made by a Southerner or was too young to remember.  Do you also
knead, or does this do all the work once the ingredients are stirred in?
Could be one of the period techniques they didn't explain and we don't
know today.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com