SC - Cherries

Mbatmantis at aol.com Mbatmantis at aol.com
Fri May 12 20:39:52 PDT 2000

Could be that there is enough of a chill for the type of cherries being grown
in your area. The coastal valleys of California and up into Oregon are major
producers of commercial cherries.
   I think I may have misphrased the sentence when I said they need considerab
le chill; They don't need a bitter cold but a certain time frame of chilling.
( I don't know the exact tempurature.) Cherries are like Raspberries-they
will not grow well in a Gulf climates. ( Zones 7, and a few varieties zone 8
seem to be the maximum they tolerate.)
   Certain varieties may be able to grow where you are, but my guess is you
couldn't grow all varieties. ( Like blueberries... If you are in southern
climates you must choose certain varieties.)
  In any given area a micro climate may exist. Perhaps that explains it?
                R.