SC - Eggs graven with Vinegar

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon May 15 11:17:25 PDT 2000

Magdalena asked:

>>> This brings up a question for me.  How close was
>>> period vinegar to the stuff I buy at the store?

Much of today's vinegar is diluted.

As for the kinds, they did not, to my knowledge, have distilled white vinegar as do we.  Most of what they used was spoiled alcoholic beverages, probably wine or ale.  It would be wine vinegar to give a russet effect.

If you want to veer from the recipe, you can do a sort of Easter Egg effect using a soaking broth made from onion skins, beets, or whatever.  You should add a couple glugs of vinegar (use the cheap distilled stuff here as it won't be noticed) to help set the dye on the eggshell, since you would not want to set it by heating the soaking fluid.

                        ---= Morgan