SC - Authenticity Buffs (the continuing saga)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 21 20:37:49 PDT 2000

Ron Rispoli wrote:

> I thought both yellow and white turnips were grown in europe am I mistaken?

No, you're right. It's just that when you ask a Frenchman or an
Englishman to describe a turnip, he'll describe a white turnip, and a
Scotsman (as well as some Americans) will describe a rutabega. My point
was only that jokingly referring to white potatoes as Scots turnips (or
whatever it was) was a joke that doesn't really work, because in
Scotland, (I think!) turnips are yellow, not white. It's as much a
matter of linguistics as of botany.

Adamantius