SC - authenticity

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon May 22 07:13:26 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> > But would the "white sherry", which I have, be considered a sweet wine or
> similar in taste to a "Greek" wine?

Sometime ago, I had a similar question when the recipe I used for Compost called
for "Greek Wine".  The glossary in "Curye on Inglisch" indicated that what was
being called for was a "sweet Italian wine".  Bear responded with the following
information:

Try Malvasia (Malmsey).  It is specificly mentioned in Sabina Welserin
(1553).

He also indicated that the Marsala I mentioned in a previous message dated to
about 1770 and is a fortified wine!

Kiri