SC - Potatoes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 22 18:59:33 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/22/00 3:47:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Aelfwyn at aol.com
writes:

<< It isn't super scholarly, but
 does give a good overview we could use to answer the perennial period
 question.  >>

I don't know what you mean by not super scholarly but the  site appears to be
very accurate so far as my own research is concerned. Sure, they don't list
bibliographies, citations and other notations but who really expects those
things in such a presentation. That is one of my pet peeves, in fact. My
feelings are if a person writes something you disagree with then it is the
reader's responsibility to provide conflicting data. At least in popular
works. Textbook writing, while commendable, certainly does not appeal to most
folks outside the research/university setting. :-)

As an example, the book 'Royal Feasts' lists few original recipes but the
redactions they give are easily found by any student of historical cuisine.
On checking a few of the originals, the redactions are well within the bounds
of possible interpretations. I think that not requiring someone else to do
our homework is not necessarily a bad thing. It tends to discourage lazy
research and makes for a much easier read book in the long run. :-)

Ras