SC - fortified wines

Tue May 23 06:05:20 PDT 2000

A fortified wine is one which distilled alcohol, usually brandy has been
added.  Since distilled alcohol is approximately 14th Century in origin,
fortified wines are late in SCA period.

It is worth noting that wine from both Malvasian grapes and Marsala grapes
were known in Antiquity and were apparently not fortified at that time.  So
it is worth asking, when did these wines become fortified?

Bear