SC -cooling Creme' Bastarde

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Tue May 23 10:36:54 PDT 2000

>>One quick question:  Does anyone on the list have any references to how

medieval cooks kept things cold, since the invention of the refrigerator
was
not to come about for many, many, many years?  I have read a few Middle
Eastern pieces which refer to the making of sherbets using ice from Mount

Etna, but doubt this method would have been used on a regular basis in
Europe.  Just curious as to how this A&S entry could have been made more
period..<<

Constance will have no trouble.  She will dig a 10 to 12' hole, forge
stone axes and mallets, hike to the nearest mountain range, hew stone to
line the cellar, construct a wooden wagon from trees she fells herself,
breed, raise and train a team of oxen to pull the stone laden wagon back
to the cellar site.  After researching and reconstructing period cement
methods--and then deciding to cut the stone to stand alone--she will
divert a mountain stream through the cellar, placing her hand thrown
pottery containers in the cold stream.  The contents will get cold.  ;-)

Hey, guys!  We got an answer to Martha Stewart!  And, she's period!

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com