SC - "throrow a straynour" - A query about horsetail

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat May 27 12:32:39 PDT 2000

I have a swatch of horses tail hair. It is not that strong on a strand
by strand basis, for example you might be able to use it as an
embroidery thread, but you couldnt sew a seam with it. In a bundle or
braid, it would strengthen the total of the grouping. I dont think that
a mesh woven from it would be strong enough to push against, but it may
work in a passice way, ie like a potato masher style plunger of liwuids.
I dont know if the viscosity of egg whites would be too strong and rip
the hairs or not. If you would like, I can have Taras find it and throw
it in with the sca gear and bring it to the next event [kings and
queens, IIRC next weekend]
You can have a hank to play with. Maybe weave a section of fabric and
clamp it in a tambour style embroidery frame, the tiny 2" ones perhaps.
margali

I think I remember a reference to Strainers being made of Horsetail,
If it is the animal hair they are talking about, Horse tail is probably
the
stongest hair that would have been available in sufficient lengths.
But not being a fiddler, I have little idea on how strong such hair
actually is, and how it reacts to regular wet/dry cycles.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
Then I wondered if they were talking about the vegetable "horsetail"
reed...

Brandu