SC - oop 18th century cookery book fascimele online

Acanthus Books acanthusbk at worldnet.att.net
Sun May 28 07:18:51 PDT 2000

Thank you for sharing this link, very interesting to see this facsimile
online. Edward Kidder was proprietor of the first known cooking school in
England, this manuscript receipt book contains the recipes taught to his
students. A similar manuscript was donated to the Univ. of Iowa Library by
Chef Louis Szathmary of Chicago, and reprinted in facsimile a few years ago
by U of Iowa Press (still in print, by the way). The manuscript copies have
always been a mystery, I suppose it has generally been assumed when a
student took a class from Kidder she received a blank book containing only
Kidder's preprinted title page and would copy the receipts for her own use,
but there are also extant copies of Kidder's receipts entirely in printed
book form. Comparing the U of Iowa manuscript facsimile to the U Penn
facsimile, the printed title page is slightly different but the two books
have obviously been copied by the same person. Other manuscript copies are
held by Vassar and U of Chicago, would be interesting to know whether they
are in the same hand.
Amanda
Acanthus Books
http://www.acanthus-books.com