SC - Marmite

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon May 29 21:29:45 PDT 2000

Ok, I've clarified stock with an eggwhite raft many times, but never
thought about being able to take the clarified stock off of the bottom of
the pot (as I've never done it with this pot.)  I never thought it was
period, but I hadn't ever seen a reference to it anywhere else, either.
Hmm.
Thanks for the info,
Christianna

> Actually, the marmite you have was used for clarifying stock (if
> it's the  same thing I'm thinking of), and is probably not period.  I
could be
> wrong, though.  The raw, cold stock is placed in the pot, and then a
> "clearmeat" of lean meat, egg whites and an acid ingredient is stirred
into it.  As it is brought slowly up to a simmer, the "clearmeat" begins
to rise and
> congeal at the top, grabbing up all of those little bits of protein and

> what-not which cloud a raw stock.  The perfectly clear stock is then
drawn off from the spigot at the bottom of the marmite.  By the way, if
your stock is