SC - Period recipes for lavender?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue May 30 19:08:57 PDT 2000

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> I went to an event this weekend, and there was a flea market across the
> street from the site.  One fellow had a table full of discount herbs and
> spices -- commercially packaged stuff.  One thing he had was lavender.
> I was intrigued, because I'd never seen food-safe lavender for sale.
> Does anyone have any period recipes for lavender?  I've already checked
> the Florilegium.

Offhand, I can't think of any period recipes using lavender, but they're
a traditional part of the mixture known as Herbes de Provence (along
with parsley, chives, thyme and chervil, IIRC, or am I fusing Fines
Herbes with HdP? Balthazar? You're prolly closer than my French cookbooks...).

Lavender also is an integral part of the seasoning for some versions of
Daub Provencale, The Greatest Stew on Earth...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com