SC - Consomme

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue May 30 22:16:35 PDT 2000

Consomme is a very good quality, clarified stock.   It can be reduced to
enhance the flavors, but the clarification proceedure that Bal describes
is what one has to do to achieve consomme.  It is traditionally served
with a variety of garnishes, julienne vegetables, for example, delicately
resting in the bottom of a clear amber colored pool.  Ah, the classic
french cuisine.
Christianna

> Balthazar of Blackmoor commented:
> > The perfectly clear stock is then drawn off from the
> > spigot at the bottom of the marmite.  By the way, if your stock is
> of very good quality to begin with, you now have consomme.  Easy,
right?

> Sigh. You cooks are as bad as us computer geeks. :-) What is
> "consomme"? Since you said "very good quality" stock, I have to assume
this isn't grease. How does consomme differ from broth? Sounds like
another of those fancy marketing words, like the 'kiwi' in kiwi fruit we
talked about recently.