SC - Pleyn Delit et al-vinegar

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Mon May 1 00:22:34 PDT 2000

>>Speaking of which - anyone have the same problems with Pleyn Delit that
I have?  I tried using several recipes only to find that the authors were
rather too vinegar-happy for my taste.  And I *like* vinegar. <<

Clotilde,

I'm not that fond of vinegar, but I don't dislike a reasonable taste.  I
find most of the 'commercial' food books on medieval cookery to have the
same problem.  Redon, et al's Medieval Kitchen does the same.  IMO, no
stew or soup or dish of any kind except pickles needs half a cup of
vinegar in it, prepared for 8 people.  Maybe an egredouce, which is
*meant* to have a sweet/sour flavor.  That's what the word means.

We've worked hard to dispel the idea that medieval food was 'rotten' and
was overspiced to cover it.  Now, we have to move on to get the other
flavorings in proportion.  To me, the very fact that a recipe says,
occasionally, to 'make it sharp with vinegar or verjuice' means that the
normal use of these flavorings was not strong.  They *enhanced* flavor
with vinegar, with sugar, with spices and herbs.  They do not SMOTHER all
food taste with these things.  Anybody want to climb on the soapbox with
me?

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com