SC -"wash them in time of year",was:Strawberry Quest

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 14:00:39 PDT 2000

> From Harleian MS. 279 - Potage Dyvers 15th century
>
> Cxxiij. Strawberye. Take Strawberys, & waysshe hem
> in tyme of yere in gode red
> wyne; ...
 plante it with Þe
> graynys of Pome-garnad, & Þan serue it forth.
>
> Translation
> Take strawberries and wash them in time of year in
> good red wine (a good vintage
> year?); ...
 place pomegranate seeds on it
> and serve it forth.

> Notes
> There were a few difficulties working out this
> recipe, the major problem being
> the phrase "in tyme of yere in gode red wyne."

On the basis of absolutely no knowledge whatsoever:
any chance that this could refer to a preservation
method?  Something along the lines of "cover them, in
season, with red wine" so that they'll keep until
you've got the pomegranate seeds to sprinkle on top?
I tend to think of pomegranates as a winter thing and
strawberries as summer (or spring when imported).

Just a passing thought.

Dana/Ximena

=====
Dana Huffman