SC - stuffed celery

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 00:08:33 PDT 2000

- --- RANDALL DIAMOND <ringofkings at mindspring.com>
wrote:
> fill up the
> U shape in the celery. Do they really do that? I
> love peanut butter, but
> this seems WAY too much of the stuff for my
> liking.<<<<

> Classic<<<<
>
> Balthazar, if that's a "classic" American practice,
> I'll eat
> my fedora with a hollandaise sauce.  Surely this
> must
> be a local custom in your area.   I have never heard
> of
> it until now and I am of sufficient age to be
> considered
> a "classic American" myself.
>
> Akim Yaroslavich
> "No glory comes without pain"

Akim,

How do you like your fedora cooked?  Steamed?  Fried?
Baked?  Broiled?  Because you are doomed to eat it.
It is not a local custom; it is a national custom.  I
have eaten stuffed celery at many different family
parties all over the country.  And not just with
peanut butter, sometimes, in addition, with cheese
food or cream cheese, or flavored cream cheese.  Kraft
had pictures and "recipes" for such in women's
magazines during the 1950's.  I don't know why you
have never eaten stuffed celery, but I know that you
probably don't remember the ads because you weren't
reading "Good Housekeeping" or "Women's Day" or such
during the 1950's.  One of the bi-products of stuffed
celery was the decorated "cheese glass".  These were 3
oz. glasses that had various decorations on them and a
lid that was removed like a bottle top.  I have two
dozen of these on one of my kitchen top shelves.  If
you can believe the prices you see in a antique store,
then my collection is worth at least $240.00.

Huette