SC - Re: Innate ability

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Wed May 3 12:41:10 PDT 2000

niccolo,

>>Not everyone does, but we live and work on our skills and knowledge to
build the strong foundation in hopes that we can, if we are truely lucky,
transcend the Viking gas stoves and the All-Clad to reach back and
commune with our historic breatheren in their itimacy with their craft,
if for just a moment or just a weekend.<<

Isn't that what we are all doing/looking for here?  That incredible
moment of communication and understanding with another human mind half a
world away in space and centuries away in time?  I see it as part of
man's desire for immortality, and reassurance in continuity.  'They'
loved their food, loved preparing it for others, gladly shared this
knowledge with the others that cared so much--a country away or for much
time to come.  Translating the recipes and preparing them isn't just a
matter of finding word equivalents, it is finding meaning, it is really
being in touch--'hands across the centuries', if you want to be as
sentimental about it as I guess I do.

One can't teach the talent.  It's a gift, and you have it or you don't.
All the lessons are simply the means of honing the talent and giving ways
to use it to the best of your ability.  I'd love to be able to sing, or
make beautiful music in some way, but the ear and the talent just isn't
there.  In cookery, it is there for me.  For most of you, too, I suspect
(and know, in some cases).  We are so lucky to have this 'virtual chorus'
to 'sing' with.

>>.  Some people can see beyond foodstuffs as nourishment and cooking as
a task to get fed.<<

I can't believe that doesn't apply to all on this list.  Cooking as a
task certainly does exist in the mundane world, unfortunately, but those
people wouldn't care enough to be part of us, would they?  Yes, there are
some that do not yet have much experience and don't know the extents of
their talents, but they are here because of desire to learn--almost a
'need' to do this.  Those of us who were lucky enough to get an early
start, and the ones with professional training to boot, can give the
encouragement that helps them blossom.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com