SC - FW: ! URGENT Virus alert by Global Support Center

catwho at bellsouth.net catwho at bellsouth.net
Thu May 4 08:45:01 PDT 2000

> CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Let me say first that I am far from a computer expert. That said, I am
> > unaware that it's possible to download a virus simply by opening mail, which
> > is mostly, if not always text. Is it possible that there may be an attached
> > file you'd have to open to download the virus? Or perhaps many corporate type
> > computers automatically download attached files?

<stepping up as an internet guru's wife>  Unfortunately there are
computer viruses that do not need to even be opened to effect your
computer.  All they need to do is be downloaded.  They are few and
far between.  Do you need to worry?  Probably not much.  The two that
my dh has had to deal with effect *only* the Microsoft Internet
Explorer mail program.  (So if you use MSIE you might want to be a
little cautious)  However, most of these viruses are aimed at
particular files and information.  They might piggy back (in other
words attach themselves to your outgoing mail without you doing
anything) but they usually are just "nusaince" viruses.  The big key
is don't open any attachments from people that you either don't know
or from whom you are not expecting an attachment.  I don't read
unsolicited e-mail anymore.  I treat it just like junk mail in my
RL mailbox.  It goes directly into the recycle bin.

There are several virus detection programs available that can scan
your incoming mail and scan your system everytime you turn your
computer on.  I use Innocutel, but Macafee is also a good one.  On
the mailing list that I run through egroups I have the settings set
for stipping all attachments.  Since there is a shared files area I
figure if anyone wants to show a picture they can either post a link
to it or put it on the shared files area.  (This also cuts down on
the amount of html rich messages too)

<going back to lurking>

Melbrigda
There was som deceptyon or frawdulent
induction that hath made her to condescende
therunto

Visit my website at http://milkmama.tripod.com/sca.html