An Test was Re: SC - Truck Crops

Fri May 5 06:07:06 PDT 2000

The sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is from the New World tropics.  The yams,
which are members of the genus Dioscorea, are from Africa.  The fact that
many Americans call a sweet potato a yam doesn't make it so.

The butter bean is Phaseolus limensis, although the term is used regionally
in New England to refer to type of yellow string bean.  All Phaseolus are of
New World origin.

Bear